Area Swim School Lead
The main purpose of the role
You’ll oversee a designated area of leisure centres and their Swimming Lesson programmes and teaching workforce You will provide leadership, advice, business support and technical expertise to ensure swim schools are running consistently and with high quality lessons that are well-marketed to the public. You’ll also ensure your Lead Teachers and Swimming Teachers are motivated, knowledgable and up to date with their training and that our customers are happy.
Who do I report into?
Hub Swim School Manager
Who are my direct reports?
Lead Swimming Teachers, Swimming Teachers (Award & Certificate)
Key working relationships
General Managers, National Aquatics Team, Area Swim School Leads, Lead Swimming Teachers
- Respond to written technical queries.
- Respond to written complaints.
- Non-technical customer journey check.
- Technical teacher checks and observations.
- Review weekly income performance plus ‘heads vs target’.
- Manage Direct Debit cancellations process (leavers on Coursepro).
- Manage lesson and course reductions due to cancelled lessons
- School holiday lesson planning
- Mystery shop internal audits.
- Review the pool programmes.
- Monitor pupil progression.
- Full programme reviews.
- Work with General Managers to set budgets for lesson equipment including devices, lane ropes and lesson equipment.
- Mobilisation and demobilisation support as required.
- Scheduling down time of swimming lessons and workforce (programmes not delivering 50 weeks)
- Access control management.
- School Swimming Progression reports
- Swimmer of the Month promotion.
- Swimming Teacher of the Month promotion.
- Swimming Teacher of the Year award promotion.
- Supporting your Lead Teachers with providing cover for lessons when given more than 24 hours’ notice.
- Review active job adverts.
- Review the staff cover log and manage staff conduct issues
- Complete scheduled new staff interviews.
- Complete scheduled new starter inductions.
- Set the teacher rotas forthe following week.
- Lead the Teacher meetings.
- Deliver Teacher training.
- Offer annual job chats to each of your direct reports.
Administration & Compliance
- Assist with customers who are displaying an issue with their Swimming Lesson account
- Carry out audits to ensure consistency, quality and compliance report to Swim School Hub Manager
- Complete NOPs and EAPs and issue updated Risk Assessments and ensure Teaching Teams have also completed
You’ll need to:
- Undertake an enhanced DBS check.
- Act in accordance with, and actively promote, all GLL policies and standards.
- Undertake any other duties that fall within the role of Area Swim School Lead.
Values and behaviours
The aim of GLL is to recruit people not just for jobs but for long-term careers. We want ‘Better People’ with the right GLL behaviours to support our business and who will grow with us to ‘Achieve More’
For these reasons, we look for evidence of the following behaviours in all potential and existing staff looking for appointments or promotions:
- Demonstrates self-belief
- Shows integrity
- Committed to service excellence
- Engages with Four Pillar values
- Continuously developing
- Results driven
- Positive ‘can-do’ attitude
- Makes a difference
- Team player
- Great communicator
- Leads and inspires others
- Cares about our communities
- Experience of Swim School management and training.
- Role model Swimming Teacher experience.
* Experienced Level 2 Swimming Teacher (Certificate).
* Tutor qualification/equivalent is desirable
What will my working hours be?
- GLL’s Better Leisure Centres are open for our customers to use at times that they need. We usually need to staff our centres from 5.30am- 11.00pm from Monday to Friday and from 7.00am-8.00pm on weekends. We work shifts to ensure that our centres are staffed during these times. As an Area Swim School Lead you will need to work to support the day-to-day running of our swim schools across your designated area, this will be at times best suited to when Swim Schools and Swimming Teachers need assistance.